For starters, please watch this and tell me if you agree that scrubbers are needed on these open hatch flowback tanks…if so, repost because if you live on a shale, this could be in your backyard.
This is the perfect article by David Suzuki to sum up why we need to “Ban Fracking Now”. But the politics will not allow that anytime soon.
Years ago, I thought after the BP spill that the hard to reach, risky fossil fuels would be prohibited. NOPE…..notice in my video shrieking to City Council “….like oil in the Gulf….R U awake”
Our City Council is still approving any and most all drilling items that are on the agenda. And since our president is sold on natural gas and we cannot stop the bullet that has left the fracking guns (yes they do use them to perforate the cement casings), here are some suggestions (a few that Dale Henry, who is running for Railroad Commissioner, helped me with).
Shale is unconventional energy and the rush has caused innocent people like me to leave the “working for a paycheck” life, and pursue “working for the truth”. Now that I am enlightened, I need to make sure this “truth works for change” to make urban drilling safer to live near.
Having experience here, I need reporters, bloggers, shale investors and stakeholders (in safe air and water) to “reason” with the industry, and so I need you to help me speak to them as they are not responsive to me.
I live at ground zero for urban drilling. We have about 60 padsites in our 99 sq mile town here in Arlington TX. The following requests won’t cover public protections on the huge buildout and the associated human errors or accidents. We had a drill spill in Lake Arlington, our drinking source, a couple of years ago and have had maybe a dozen emission events over the last couple of years that I am aware of. The following are the items lacking in our oil and gas drilling ordinance….
1. Use electric (not diesel) rigs in urban areas.
2. Video tape ALL cement casing pours when it comes back up to the top through the annulus so that there is proof of an even pour and ensure all wells have electric bond log tests.
3. All drilling mud farming (private & commercial) and *brine “road spraying” is subject to open records of water & soil test results.
4. We need the industry to invent technology to keep the toxic, silica dust on the padsite-those pathetic pillow case looking socks aren’t getting the job done.
5. Mandate ventless, emission free flowback tanks.
6. We shouldn’t have to wait 2.5 years for the EPA mandated Green Completions and allow venting or flaring in urban or rural areas….methane losses should be prevented-period.
7. The pipeline should be in place FIRST before fracturing so that flowback doesn’t sit in the ground for months festering some unknown, man-made hydrogen sulfide-like stale water flowback.
8. The setback away from people should be substantial. Rural method drilling is not acceptable in urban areas. A doctor who is an environmental tester said that the health effects are being seen downwind from about 1,800 – 2,500 feet.
9. Zero tolerance for underinspected, or faked Waste Disposal Injection Well casing pressure tests which risks eventual migration of toxic fluids into our drinking supplies.
10. State entities overseeing oil and gas should regulate how close old wells are to new wells.
Lets elect officials that will ensure a protective Oil & Gas Drilling Ordinance. This is in our “collective” power so we must all become active to be proactive because reactive measures are too costly.