UPDATE here is part two of the WFAA coverage by Brett Shipp….http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/local/investigates/lessons-for-arlington-in-miami-roofed-stadium-financial-flop/254003428#
I commented, “I have an idea – get Chesapeake to help the Rangers pay for OUR half…they owe us big time in property devaluations at these drill sites where the highest and best use is high impact, toxic, industrialized mining operations at 55 plus padsites in Arlington pathetically raping the earth, insulting already bad air quality, & risking water supplies fracking for soon 2 B obselete fossil fuels”.
Arlington TX started defining itself with GM & Six Flags…while the two businesses can NEVER co-exist as family friendly with belching VOCs in painting cars, we keep adding on the SMOG emitters:
- We keep giving the air quality store away with tax breaks in expanding GM.
- We allowed Urban drilling and even added Chesapeake padsites and compressors on the GM property.
- We make pollution tearing down and rebuilding structures…Texas LIVE (big hotel courtesty of drilling blood money) will be another death nail to our lungs.
- Now we are RUSHING to tear down a young baseball stadium and build a new one next to Jerry’s World at ATT Stadium.
No one can put a price on human and financial suffering from added smog and ill health/early death from all those visitor’s cars in our Entertainment District. Our UT Arlington (with their oncampus padsite of gas wells and two compressors) boasts of 50,000 students at our handy “communter” college (yep more cars).
We have MORE cars from employees who drive to work in the Entertainment District to make minimum wage – some even volunteer? (Doesn’t matter if minimum wage or volunteering-same thing).
I know first hand how the air quality sux worse during game times…money is an insufficient incentive for anybody to price out in life-loss-years. In living mere blocks away from Collins street, sometimes we get people parking in front of our house for game time because parking is NOT affordable. At what point in overcharging people will they just stay home and watch the games on TV? THEN who will pay for the stadium?
SMOG takes years off yer metropolition lives (5-15 years in China). How many extra more life years lost in added metro smog? Our town is already overdone with SMOG from 55 plus padsites of Urban Drilling PLUS GM and it’s under reported Chesapeake BENZENE emissions).
Isn’t it bad enough that Arlington residents got fracked in their own backyards?
Recently we learned that Jerry’s World is being financed ( WFAA Brad Shipp exposed) in a similar way in “….transferring revenue from the public sector to the private sector….” for this new Ranger Stadium deal!
We were told 50/50 yet the contract says something different….we were told fracking was safe to live by too…NOT!
I predict the state of Texas will soon be charging a state tax:
- to pay to shut in the problem wells ‘now bankrupted’ drillers drilled
- to make up for the money we risk in losing federal road funding for ozone non-attainments (2.5 decades failed)
- to build the roads that got fracked
- and to help pay for excesses like this stadium.