How one of five survived the Dupont DEATH BY METHYL mercaptan

Four workers died in a (now closed) Dupont pesticide manufacturing plant four years ago. Two of the deceased were brothers; one of the brothers died giving up his respirator to his downed brother.  I have cut & paste portions of the transcript / narrative by Rachel Maddow as to HOW one of the survivors did NOT succumb to the death chamber filled with 23,000 lbs of methyl mercaptan of which the Houston Chronicle Houston Chronicle said resulted in 200 citizen odor complaints in the area.

“But this time the woman opened up that vent line, she knew it was 
wrong. She called for help. It was too late. She had breathed in a fatal 
dose of methyl mercaptan, which is an active ingredient in a heavy duty 
pesticide. When she called for help, nobody knew exactly what had 
happened. 

There were no detection systems that went off to let anybody know 
about that chemical leak. There weren`t any in that part of the plant. 
There were big fans installed in the ceiling that were supposed to clear 
the air in case something like that happened. But you know what? Those 
fans hadn`t actually worked in months. 

The woman`s supervisor and another worker ran in to try to help her 
when they heard her cries for help. But because they didn`t know what had 
hurt her and in fact killed her, they ran in trying to save her, wearing no 
protective equipment of their own. And so, they too breathed in the fatal 
chemical and they, too, were killed. 

And then another employee working in the control room, he knew that 
one of the people who had rushed in to help was his brother. And when he 
couldn`t raise anybody from the accident site on the radio, he decided from 
the control room that he would grab some masks, grab some ventilation masks 
and then he would run in there, too, to try to save his brother and the 
other workers, but he died, too”.

“MADDOW: So, one worker who was exposed to that poison leak that day 
… and survived, seems to have only survived because when he inhaled the gas in that room, he passed out. And when he passed out, he happened to fall out of the room where the leak was. He fell down a flight of stairs because he passed out. That`s why he 
lived”. 

“… For four dead people. A $60 billion company fined $99,000 total”.

Here is a link to some pictures of that plant in LaPorte….

https://sites.google.com/site/metropolitanenvironmental/4-workers-inhale-toxic-concentrations-of-methyl-mercaptan-and-die-at-dupont-s-la-porte-texas-chemical-plant—update

In an unrelated story, one lady claims her mental illness stems from a work exposure to old Methyl….

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The_suffocating_stigma_of_mental_illness/5-1525752/?page=

“She thinks she was exposed to high levels of methymercaptan in a natural gas leak at a former place of employment years ago, and that caused her disease. She blames everything on her ‘poison gas’ exposure. In plain speak, she’s fucking NUTS”. 

———–so maybe the guy who fell down the stairs is having some mental illness issues?

 

Yet another reason natural gas needs to be a thing of the past...switch to renewables and encourage your elected leaders to actually “lead”, not follow the frackers down a fracking rabbit hole.

Advertisements

About Kim Triolo Feil

Since TX Statute 253.005 forbids drilling in heavily settled municipalities, I unsuccessfully ran for City Council Seat to try to enforce this. Since Urban Drilling, our drinking water has almost tripled for TTHM's. Before moving to Arlington in 1990, I lived in Norco’s “cancer alley”, a refinery town. It was only after Urban Drilling in Arlington did I start having health effects. After our drill site was established closest to my home, the chronic nosebleeds started. I know there are more canaries here in Arlington having reactions to our industrialized airshed (we have 55-60 padsites of gas wells). Come forward and report to me those having health issues especially if you live to the north/northwest of a drill site so I can map your health effects on this blog. My youtube account is KimFeilGood. FAIR USE NOTICE: THIS SITE MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL THE USE OF WHICH HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE COPYRIGHT OWNER. MATERIAL FROM DIVERSE AND SOMETIMES TEMPORARY SOURCES IS BEING MADE AVAILABLE IN A PERMANENT UNIFIED MANNER, AS PART OF AN EFFORT TO ADVANCE UNDERSTANDING OF THE SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH EMINENT DOMAIN AND THE PRIVATIZATION OF PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE (AMONG OTHER THINGS). IT IS BELIEVED THAT THIS IS A 'FAIR USE' OF THE INFORMATION AS ALLOWED UNDER SECTION 107 OF THE US COPYRIGHT LAW. IN ACCORDANCE WITH TITLE 17 USC SECTION 107, THE SITE IS MAINTAINED WITHOUT PROFIT FOR THOSE WHO ACCESS IT FOR RESEARCH AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES. FOR MORE INFORMATION, SEE: HTTP://WWW.LAW.CORNELL.EDU/ TO USE MATERIAL REPRODUCED ON THIS SITE FOR PURPOSES THAT GO BEYOND 'FAIR USE', PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER INDICATED WITH A NAME AND INTERNET LINK AT THE END OF EACH ITEM. (NOTE: THE TEXT OF THIS NOTICE WAS ALSO LIFTED FROM CORRIDORNEWS.BLOGSPOT.COM)
This entry was posted in Mental, Methyl Mercaptan, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s